Connecticut Public Records
Finding Information on People in Connecticut Public Records
The state of Connecticut has its own laws regarding the creation of public records. Within these Connecticut public records you can find a great deal of information on the people that live and/or were born in the state, provided that information was collected by the government. Some examples of the people information you can find in Connecticut public records includes:
Of course you will not find all personal information included in these records. In some cases you may find that data is excluded, such as social security numbers. That type of data is considered private, because it can be misused and contain information that is not of general public interest. Still, there is quite a bit of information included in these records if you are trying to find out information on the people in the area.
Connecticut Birth Records
Connecticut birth records are open to the general public if they are more than one hundred years old, which makes it easy to obtain information for genealogy reasons. If you are looking for a birth record in the State of Connecticut that is more current, the information is limited to those that have a legal reason to request such a document.To obtain a copy of a Connecticut Birth Record, you must visit the town in which the event occurred. These record offices can offer same day service, so this is the route to take for those that require a certified birth record quickly. Another option is to send in a mail request, but if you choose this route, expect a long wait. Currently the turn around time for Connecticut birth records that are requested by mail is six weeks.
In some cases, you can use an outside source to obtain a Connecticut Birth Record over the Internet. The turnaround time for this way is generally in five to seven business days.
Connecticut Death Records
The State of Connecticut offers two ways to obtain death records; through the town where the event took place, or through the State Vital Records office. You will receive faster service if you obtain a Connecticut death record through a town office; currently the turnaround time on the State side is six weeks.
Connecticut death records are available from July of 1897 to today. For death records before 1897, contact the town where the death took place; some towns have death records that date back much further then that year.
Additionally, Connecticut State Library History and Genealogy Unit (CSLHGU) has a searchable database for pre 1897 death records. Many of these early Connecticut death records are microfilmed.
For those interested in their Connecticut ancestors the CSLHGU is a great place to find Connecticut death records that over one hundred years old.
Search Connecticut Public Records By County
Additional Connecticut Resources
The links listed below lead to government agencies that provide free online access to public record information.
- Connecticut - Civil, Family, Small Claims Court Records Statewide or by Location
- Connecticut - Business Entities, Business Filings
- Connecticut - Sex Offender Registry
- Connecticut - Incarceration Records
- Connecticut - State Archives
- Connecticut - Unclaimed Property
- Connecticut - Statewide Inmates, Offenders
- CT - Superior Court - Civil and Family Courts Records - Name Search
- CT - Superior Court - Civil and Family Courts Records - Docket Search
- CT - 6 Eviction Courts
- CT - 24 Small Claims Courts
- CT - ~Housing Courts
- Connecticut - Criminal, Motor Vehicle Court Case Docket Statewide or by Location
- Connecticut - Supreme, Appellate, Probate, Supreme Court Case Lookups/Dockets
- Connecticut - Motor Vehicle Citation Conviction and Bond Forfeiture
- Connecticut - Securities Division Enforcement Actions
- Connecticut - Housing Cases (Landlord/Tenant)
- CT - ~Court case lookup: Civil, Family, Criminal, MVR, Sm Claims, Housing
- Connecticut - UCC Inquiry
- Connecticut - Delinquent Taxpayers
- Connecticut - Sex Offender Registry - Private Vendor
- Connecticut - Lobbyist List
- Connecticut - Election - Campaign Finance & Committee Fundraising
- Connecticut - Probate Cases (mostly 01/05/2011 forward)
- Connecticut - Elections - Political Committee
- Connecticut - Vehicle Registration Verification
- Connecticut Online Searches
- Connecticut Court Records